Motorists are encouraged to avoid portions of the Interstate 10 in downtown Phoenix as a planned electrical project will likely create delays and backups, according to ADOT.
- Westbound I-10 between the I-17 Split and 7th Avenue
- Eastbound I-10 between the Stack interchange and the Loop 202/State Route 51 interchange
- The westbound Loop 202 ramp, and the southbound SR 51 ramp, connecting to westbound I-10
The Arizona Public Service Co. is removing three older power lines and replacing them with six new lines near the 7th Street overpass, according to ADOT.
I-10 traffic approaching the closures will be detoured onto I-17 south and west of downtown Phoenix.
Possible alternate routes courtesy of azdot.gov.
- For eastbound I-10 drivers heading to downtown Phoenix from the West Valley: Consider exiting ahead of the I-10 closure and using eastbound surface streets.
- For eastbound I-10 drivers heading to Sky Harbor Airport: Please allow plenty of extra travel time and consider using southbound I-17 to northbound 16th Street and eastbound Buckeye Road.
- For westbound I-10 drivers approaching Phoenix from Tucson, Ahwatukee or the Southeast Valley: Consider detouring along eastbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) in Chandler or eastbound US 60 in Tempe to northbound Loop 101.
- For westbound I-10 travelers heading to Sky Harbor Airport: Plan on using northbound State Route 143 to access the airport’s east entrance. Be prepared for westbound I-10 congestion near the US 60 interchange in Tempe and I-10 Broadway Curve. Allow plenty of extra travel time.
- For southbound I-17 travelers approaching Phoenix from Flagstaff and other northern Arizona communities: Consider detouring onto eastbound Loop 101 in north Phoenix and using southbound SR 51 to reach eastbound I-10 and Sky Harbor Airport.
- For I-10 drivers, including commercial truck drivers, with plans to travel through Phoenix: Consider using the Phoenix Bypass Route along Interstate 8 (starting in Casa Grande for westbound traffic) and State Route 85 (starting in Buckeye for eastbound traffic).